The Astronomical Society of the Toms River Area
ASTRA club message board

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

This message board is for A.S.T.R.A. Members and visiting Guests. Astronomical and Star Party messages are welcome. Those who post are responsible for their content. The board is monitored by the Webmaster, who has the discretion to remove any posts. The Webmaster is accountable to the club officers. Please follow responsible message board etiquette.

Post subject: Coyle field
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:14 pm 

Any word on whats going on at coyle field? Is the south jersey club taking over? We could use coyle back again. Mike

Post subject: Re: Coyle field
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:04 am 

The West Jersey Astronomical Society (formerly the Willingboro Astronomical Society) is now in charge of astronomy observing at Coyle Field. I think that the only way to observe there is to join this club.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:52 pm 

Are they still active? Last update of their site was 2015-ish.

Also I thought I heard that particular club was defunct?

Chris S.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:32 pm 

It's the Coyle Field Astronomers that became defunct because they weren't carrying out their administrative duties. The Coyle Field Astronomers had members from many different astronomy clubs in New Jersey. Now a single astronomy club, the West Jersey Astronomical Society, has been granted permission by the state to manage the use of Coyle Field for astronomy observing. It's my understanding that your have to join the West Jersey Astronomical Society to observe the nighttime sky at Coyle Field. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:53 pm 

You're confusing the WAS with the Coyle Field Astronomers. The CFA is defunct (that's why we have the current problem). The WAS is quite alive and has taken up the effort to re-gain access to Coyle Field.

I think it was two meetings ago (maybe three, the WAS meets twice a month), the officers reviewed the Coyle Field status and basically, they were waiting for the wheels of the state to turn and finish processing the application. I suspect that one will have to join the WAS to access Coyle, but the current cost to join WAS is the same as it was for the CFA ($30 a year).

The South Jersey Astronomy Club never had anything to do with Coyle, other than some members of the SJAC, who also (or primarily) belonged to other clubs, observed at Coyle (myself for example). There may have been a token SJAC member present on the CFA board before it was set up, but the actual participation was minimal, or maybe less. The SJAC has its own observing site in Belleplain State Forest (Steelmantown, which is separate from the athletic field where they hold the Star Parties and other occasional private events).