The Astronomical Society of the Toms River Area
ASTRA club message board

It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

This message board is for A.S.T.R.A. Members and visiting Guests. Astronomical and Star Party messages are welcome. Those who post are responsible for their content. The board is monitored by the Webmaster, who has the discretion to remove any posts. The Webmaster is accountable to the club officers. Please follow responsible message board etiquette.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:19 pm 
President

I would like to implement a new policy or sort of a new recommendation on members and guests registering/signing onto our clubs message boards.

I want to change every ones Username to their real names like I did with mine, I went from "Oldjedi John E" to "John Endreson".

I know that users can have a signature at the bottom of their posts but I'm more concerned with new members and guests registering and being able to identify who is registering to join our message boards and requiring them to use their first and last names and not having current users conforming to the same requirements.

If we decide to make this change you would just have to sign in using your first and last names as your "Username" instead of the current sort of nicknames we've been using.

I know that their are only a few of us that regularly post on these message boards so I really don't think it would be a big deal for us to use our full name but I wanted to check with everybody before I made any changes.

let me know what you think.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:39 pm 
Vice President

I am on the fence when it comes to using real names if it's mandatory.

The message board can strongly recommend new users sign up using their real life names, or their real life name and final initial, but I think making it a choice than a mandate will fit better with our club members.

Chris S.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:02 pm 

I wouldn’t mind at all, inasmuch as I’m essentially using my real name now, JoeStieber instead of Joe Stieber (my username has no space between the first and last names). Would that be okay as is?

If changed, who would implement the change? I don’t see where an ordinary user can change the username in the Control Panel. Can an administrator do it? I wouldn’t want to have to start a new account just to change the user name (especially for the very minor difference between my user and real names).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:31 am 

I like the Idea and wish it was implemented a long time ago. First name and the first letter of the last name works for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

Your user name is your identity in the forum database and is linked to your email address. If you change your user name you are a new 'user' or person in the forum.
I will look into allowing an 'alias' name that will link to your current user id and email address without requiring you to be an entirely new user.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:15 pm 

OK, I checked the forum settings and permissions.
There is an option to allow user name changes and to share a user email address with more than 1 user.
Johns' request can be instituted if the club officers all agree.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:18 am 

I think it's okay to give ASTRA members (who support the club by paying dues) fun privileges like using nicknames. If it's a double standard, so be it. Does it really create a significant administative burden on the web master or on the club officers to have two sets of rutes, one for our club members and one for our guests? If it does, then I would say it's better to have one policy for everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:15 pm 

Not sure I remember my real name.