The Astronomical Society of the Toms River Area
ASTRA club message board

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

This message board is for A.S.T.R.A. Members and visiting Guests. Astronomical and Star Party messages are welcome. Those who post are responsible for their content. The board is monitored by the Webmaster, who has the discretion to remove any posts. The Webmaster is accountable to the club officers. Please follow responsible message board etiquette.

Post subject: Sad News for ASTRA!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:52 pm 
President

ASTRA member Dr. Donald Addis Cooper, 86, died peacefully at home surrounded by his family on Wednesday, July 11, 2012. He was born in Kearny, NJ on May 6, 1926 to Cathryn and William Cooper.
At age 12, Don joined Boy Scout Troop #9 of the Hudson County Council. He developed a life long love for the outdoors, nature and service to others. He quickly advanced in the ranks and became an Eagle Scout in 1943. In his recent years he joined the National Eagle Scout Association to encourage young scouts to achieve the Eagle rank. In 2004 Don received a Special Scout Service Award known as the Whitney M. Young Jr. Award.
He graduated from Kearny High School in January of 1944 as president of the National Honor Society and immediately joined the U.S. Navy to serve his country for the remainder of WWII. He attended Rutgers University then graduated from the University of Pennsylvania Dental School in 1953. Marrying his sweetheart Anna Marie on October 2, 1954 in Philadelphia, they made their home in NJ where he practiced dentistry in Nutley for 40 years before retiring to Toms River.
Don joined the Nutley Rotary Club District 7470 in 1961. A past President, he lived his life by Rotary's 4 Way Test. Don was well known for chairing and serving on many committees in both the Nutley and Brick Morning Clubs. Attending District and International Conferences, he served many years as Sergeant-at-Arms. In 1980 Don received the Paul Harris Fellow award from the Nutley Club. In 1998 he received a second PHF award with a sapphire stone. He was honored with 50 years of perfect attendance and a Service Above Self Award by the Brick Morning Club in 2009. He always said he could never stop being a Rotarian.
Other past memberships and interests include the Ocean County String Band, Lavallette Yacht Club, Astra Society at OCC, Sail Habilitation and cheering for his sports teams, the Mets and the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets! Always proud to be a veteran, he was a member of the American Legion post 129 in Toms River where he enjoyed playing bridge, a true passion.
He was an active member of St Andrew UMC where he enjoyed singing in the choir and playing handbells. A faithful husband, father and grandpa, Don will always be remembered for his enthusiasm for life, his stories, his compassion and kindness, his welcoming smile and gentle touch but most of all his unconditional love.

Predeceased by a son, Steven Addis Cooper; sister, Ruth Eleanor Cooper. Survived by his loving wife of 57 years, Anna Marie Reeves Cooper "P.S. I Love You;" son, David William Cooper; daughter, Ruth Cooper Leonard; son-in-law, John H. Leonard; grandchildren, Steven Thomas Leonard, Daniel Addis Leonard and Sarah Ann Marie Leonard; a sister, Carol Cooper Schoenberger of Jacksonville FL; a niece, a nephew, 5 great nieces and nephews and many friends.

Visitation will be Sunday, July 15 from 1 to 5 p.m. at the Silverton Memorial Funeral Home, 2482 Church Road, Toms River. A memorial service to celebrate his life will be held 11am on Saturday, Aug. 25, 2012 at St Andrew UMC, 1528 Church Road, Toms River. His final resting place will be in the Vincent UMC Cemetery Cooper Memorial Garden in Nutley, NJ. In lieu of flowers, tax deductible donations may be made to the National Eagle Scout Scholarship Endowment, 1325 W. Walnut Hill Lane, PO Box 152079, Irving, TX 75015, mark the check "In memory of Dr. Donald A. Cooper" and the envelope "personal & confidential."

Published in Asbury Park Press on July 13, 2012
Attachment:
Donnald Cooper.jpg
Donnald Cooper.jpg [ 27.92 KiB | Viewed 3267 times ]

Post subject: Re: Sad News for ASTRA!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:54 pm 
President

Don, you are a true star of our astronomy club! Whenever a volunteer was needed to setup a display or to help a guest or other members who had a question about astronomy or life in general your where always one of the first to step up and help.

Your energy and enthusiasm couldn’t be matched by anyone half your age and your smile and energy will be truly missed.

Over the years I’ve enjoyed our talks and meeting your wife Anna Marie and son David and I feel lucky to have known you. Good luck on your journey my friend.

“Mortal as you are, you know that you are born for a day. But when you follow at your pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, your feet no longer touch the earth.”

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:53 pm 

I will miss Doc Copper. He always made a point of coming over to see me at meetings and I was happy to see and talk with him. He had a way of making me fell like he was happy to see me and that made me feel good about myself. It was funny, I seem to run into him places. I saw him several times at the bowling alley and stores. I never heard a harsh word from him about anybody or anything. He was fun guy and I will never forget him or stop looking for his face in the crowd. May he rest in peace.

That's it;
BOB SAL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:25 am 

I will miss Dr cooper. As a fellow dentist I always spoke to him about what was new and exciting in the field of dentistry. He was always amazed at what was going on in the field and the advances that were taking place. He was always concerned about what happened to his patients that he treated for years and hoped they still were cared for the way he cared for them. We spoke about astronomy also. I will miss him.
Michael Kozic,DDS