The Astronomical Society of the Toms River Area
ASTRA club message board

It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

This message board is for A.S.T.R.A. Members and visiting Guests. Those who post are responsible for their content. The board is monitored by the Webmaster, who has the discretion to remove any posts. The Webmaster is accountable to the club officers. Please follow responsible message board etiquette. please limit your postings to astronomical observing events. Use the 'General Discussions' forum for other topics.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:14 am 
President

ASTRA members, the IBSP Moonlight stroll on Friday July 27th is scheduled from 7pm to 10pm and is "FREE" for ASTRA members!!!

Your name needs to be on the volunteer list so please let me know if you are planning on going.

YOU CANNOT JUST SHOW UP! YOU WILL BE DENIED ACCESS INTO THE PARK!!!

We will setup telescopes at parking lot #A13. Setup time can be between 7pm and 8:30pm and ASTRA members can stay as late as they want after the Moonlight Stroll event is finished.

If you have any questions please e-mail me at: president@astra-nj.org or post on this message board.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:00 pm 

If it's not cancelled, I will be there as a volunteer with a mount and a telescope.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:16 am 

NASA's Dr. Rich Zurek apparently doesn't think you'll be able to see Mars's dark features during this opposition. It's because of the dust storm.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/26/scie ... earth.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:53 am 

I was looking at Mars last night, at the moment of opposition, 1:13 am EDT on Friday, July 27, 2018 (the same time it crossed the meridian for me at 75° west longitude, so it reached 24.7° altitude). I was using my 130 mm f/7 apo refractor at 253x.

Seeing was average, and at a quick glance, Mars was just a blank disc with a pumpkin or butterscotch color. With patience, I was able to make out a small, not-exactly-white Southern Polar Cap, and the Northern Polar Hood was a whitish rim along the northern limb near the pole. The only dark marking was a vague, faint horizontal band in the southern hemisphere.

Rather disappointing, but Mars doesn't drop to 20 arc seconds diameter until about September 5, vs. 24.3 arc seconds last night. I've been following images posted at ALPO Japan, and it seems like the dust storm could be subsiding a little, so if we're lucky, we might get to see some decent detail before the current opposition season is over.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:57 am 

Yes, relief from this feature-obscuring storm is in sight.
See https://www.space.com/41302-mars-dust-s ... -down.html