The Astronomical Society of the Toms River Area
ASTRA club message board

It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Aldebaran Occultation
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:52 am 

With very pleasant weather, I set up my 80 mm apo refractor in the front yard to watch the lunar occultation Aldebaran on the morning of October 19, 2016. This event was recently featured in an online Sky & Telescope article.

I was set up at 1:30 am EDT and Aldebaran was easily visible with an 18 mm eyepiece (27x), but I could not see it with unaided eyes. However, I used an 8.8 mm eyepiece (55x) to get a better view of Aldebaran as it disappeared at the bright lunar limb. At the limb, it seemed to merge for a few seconds, then suddenly winked out at 1:41:30 am.

I went back out an hour later and saw Aldebaran reappear very abruptly in dark sky, 4.5 arc minutes from the lunar terminator, at 2:48:05 am. I went back in the house to make some notes, and also found that my disappearance and reappearance times were +25 and +26 seconds respectively from the times predicted for Philadelphia, the nearest location to me on the IOTA list of cities.

I went out again to fetch my scope and took a last look at 27x. It was a beautiful sight with brilliant Aldebaran next to the gibbous moon. Then I looked with my unaided eyes and I was able to see Aldebaran next to the moon (without too much difficulty) at 2:58 am.