The Astronomical Society of the Toms River Area
ASTRA club message board

It is currently Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:07 pm 
Vice President

Comet 45P/Honda-Mrkos-Pajdusakova, returning to the inner solar system after more than five years, will be visible this week with binoculars or a small telescope.

Interdum taurus est victor

Chris S.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:36 am 

I'm not sure what's "strange" about this comet. Certainly not the greenish color, which is fairly typical of comets in long-exposure images. Visually, with binoculars or a scope, comets sometimes appear vaguely greenish. I saw 45P in mid-January with 16x70 binoculars towards the end of evening twilight from a field near home (so there was light pollution too) and it was just a very faint, ghostly grayish glow.

This morning, Chris Shur offered this report about 45P on the Comet Mailing List...

After the entire month of January was a total cloud-out here in Arizona, we had clearing this morning and set up for visual and imaging operations here in Payson, at over 5,000 feet elevation. The comet is getting up pretty high now, most of the images were taken when the comet was at least 25 degrees up. Visually, the comet in the Stellarvue 80mm with a 16mm Nagler was very disappointing. It is so spread out and diffuse, that it was barely visible in the eyepiece! There was no central nuclear star-like region, and the condensation was only slight towards the middle. I'm reminded of a diffuse 8th magnitude galaxy seen with the same instrument. Certainly no tail was seen.

I next put the Canon XTi with f/4.4 coma corrector in and took 10 subs 1 min each. The comet appears very greenish, very diffuse and no tail was again seen on the back of the cameras LCD. I'll process these tonight.

It is unfortunate that a lot of the news media has portrayed this comet as a brilliant "Hale Bopp" type object, with a searchlight tail visible in the east before sun-up.

I wish we'd get a clear morning so I could take a look myself before the moon ruins the view.

Joe Stieber