The Astronomical Society of the Toms River Area
ASTRA club message board

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:05 am 

After standing-by for the first ten attempts to launch this sounding rocket since June 1st, it finally went off this morning, 29-June-2017, at 4:25 am EDT. Despite seemingly heavy natural clouds that I expected would block the view, the artificial clouds generated were easily visible for perhaps five minutes from Carranza Field in Wharton State Forest, NJ, beginning at 4:28 am. From Carranza, they were about 35° high in the south-southwest.

The accompanying picture was taken at 4:30 am with a Canon 6D digital SLR camera (on a fixed tripod) and a Canon 24 to 105 mm f/4L zoom lens set to 24 mm focal length. It was exposed 6 seconds at f/4, ISO 3200.

Attachment:
Wallops-Clouds_29-June-2017.jpg
Wallops-Clouds_29-June-2017.jpg [ 34.81 KiB | Viewed 238 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:16 am 

A mild correction. Since there were no stars for reference, I didn't have a good handle on the azimuth of the artificial clouds (should have gotten my compass out). Looking at the tree line in some older pictures at Carranza, I think due south, rather than south-southwest, is more accurate. The launch pad at Wallops is 142 miles away at 200° azimuth.

This picture is currently at the top of my home page. All nine of the artificial cloud pictures I took (straight from the camera, except for size reduction) are on this page.