The Astronomical Society of the Toms River Area
ASTRA club message board

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:50 pm 
Vice President

Total Solar Eclipse in a word – Overwhelming! This was not fireworks in the sky, spot lights in the night or State of the Art Lasers in the Planetarium. No-no-no-no. This was the Sun and the Moon! Do you have any idea the difference in scale here? The thrill, excitement and elation I felt did not even scratch the surface of what the Eclipse produced. Nothing I’ve ever read, pictures I’ve seen or people I’ve spoken with prepared me for what I saw. When the last sliver of Sun vanished in my glasses, I pulled them away and thought I knew what to expect. I was wrong. I understand why the ancients, not knowing what this was, would be absolutely terrified by the sight of an eerie darkness falling on the land unlike nighttime and color’s in the sky above the horizon never seen before. Then suddenly the Sun itself vanished and there was a black hole in the sky where the sun should be, radiating white light all over and scorched with red spots on the edge against the backdrop of a gloomy grey sky. Are you scared yet? Well, that’s how it looked to me and I, not only knew what it was, I knew it was coming. There were way more things to look at than the two minutes and forty seconds allowed. I’ll skip to the last few seconds, the climax. A bright spot appeared on the edge (the diamond ring). As it grew, it sparkled. This was so unexpected! The brightest sparkle imaginable. The sparkle exploded into the brightest sunbeams possible and then some. They shined and moved in all directions, and I mean into space in all directions, then like a fan they closed and came down on us. Bang, daylight hit the ground and the sun came back too bright to look at. We all bowed our heads. My heart raced and my hands shook. It was a rush of adrenalin I feel only when I get off a roller coaster. It brought tears to my eyes, I was speechless, it took my breath away and all the other clichés that are way out of scale here. It completely overwhelmed me. I can’t even imagine anything I could see that could top that, in the words of the great Han Solo, “and I can imagine quite a bit!”. That’s it. BOB SAL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:54 pm 

Don't forget to catch Bob on TV via the intertubes!

http://www.ksdk.com/news/eclipse/pilots ... /466189209

Chris S.